Thursday, July 30, 2026

Studs and Crystal

 We are off to the national stud farm.  This is the breeding area for throughbred horses  from throughout the world for which ever owner will pay the price.  Dan and I had taken Tali here in 2019. As we pull into the parking area it begins to rain.   Yes, most of the walking tour in the rain.  Although our tour is quite a bit shorter than the one we did in 2019.   The second part of the farm is the Japanese garden, the rain finally stopped but the trail through the garden with the steps was hazardous. 

Now off to Waterford and a tour of the glass factory  plenty of time in the showroom   The tour was amazing and I had no idea of the detail that goes into the specialty pieces Waterford does.  Designs are hand drawn then individually etched using a grinding wheel  of course they use machines to etch mass produced items  most of the glassware that is done in Waterford is only special pieces awards, cups or plaques   Of course a small green box is coming home but not the large cut glass vase I think I wanted.

Waterford is the oldest town in Ireland founded by the Vikings in 914 AD .   It is a small waterfront town  along the river Suir  we went in search of dinner opting to leave the hotel  lots of bars and unlike the US they dont serve food  so a bit of a walk  12500 steps today

Our hotel tonight in Waterford is a big improvement over our Dublin stay  Not quite as warm but still need the fan  missing US and air conditioning.  Tomorrow on to the Blarney Castle then Killarney  I will try and add a few photos  



1 comment:

  1. Hello Ellen, I'm enjoying reading your blog as I sip my morning coffee. I would love to tour the Waterford factory!
    My Waterford vase that George, my former Irish coworker gave me, is on our table filled with flowers.
    Look forward to your next post. Take good care. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete